About this visa
Young Australians can apply for this Working Holiday visa which allows them to work and travel in Portugal for up to one year.
With this visa you can
This visa allows you to:
- Live in Portugal for up to one year
- Work on a short term basis (Max. 6 months)
- Study for up to four months
- Travel to other countries within the Schengen area without a visitor visa
Things to note
- Basic Spanish is a requirement for this visa
- There are only 200 working holiday visas places each year for young Australians
For Australians you might be able to get this temporary visa if you:
- are an Australian Citizen holding a valid Australian passport;
- are at least 18 years of age but not yet 31;
- will not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay.
- intend primarily to holiday in Portugal for a period of up to twelve calendar months;
- Have enough money to support yourself on a working Holiday (about AUD 5000);
- Have an onward travel ticket or enough money to buy a return or onward travel ticket at the end of your stay;
- Meet health and character requirements;
- Hold tertiary qualifications or have successfully completed at least 2 years of undergraduate university study.
Note: The visa conditions outlined above are subject to change without notice.
How to apply
- Normal processing time: Up to 30 days
- Visa fee: $180,45 AUD
- You will need to collect all required visa documents. You can find the list below;
- A completed application form (link pdf Vistos Schengen Eng) with 1 passport size photo
- A valid Australian Passport (validity must extend until at least 3 months after the end of planned journey);
- Copy of your medical and travel insurance covering comprehensive medical, hospitalisation and repatriation expenses for the duration of the stay;
- Available contact details for the place of accommodation in Portugal (address, phone numbers and email) Here you can just write in a hostel/hotel’s address if you have booked a stay here.
- Police certificate issued by the authorities of any country the applicant has resided for over one year;
- Authorisation for the Portuguese authorities to consult police records within the Schengen area (link autorização registo criminal); (link authorization criminal record)
- Letter explaining the reasons for applying for this Visa (You wish to work and explore this country)
- Declaration as attached signed (link declaração compromisso de honra) (link Declaration under Rules of Engagement) and with signature certified by a Justice of the Peace;
- Evidence of sufficient funds: certified copy of a bank statement showing you have access to funds of at least AUD 5000 and proof of its availability in Portugal;
- Evidence of relevant educational qualifications;
- Self-addressed envelop for the returning of the passport.
2. Pay the visa application fee of $180,45 AUD. You can find out how to pay here
3. Lodge your visa application together with visa documentation and receipt of your visa application fee payment.
4. Wait until you here back from the Consulate
If you have any further queries, you can contact the Consulate via email@example.com
The immigration authority in Portugal for processing Working Holiday visa's is Consulate General of Portugal in Sydney.
Need more help?
If you are seeking advice about Working Holiday visa's drop a comment below and we will be happy to answer any Working Holiday & Youth Mobility visa question you have! We are travellers too! 🙂