Working Holiday Visa in the Czech Republic

About this visa

Follow 3 Simple Steps to Apply for a Working Holiday Visa in Czech Republic

Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders can apply for the Youth Mobility program which allows them to work and travel in Czech Republic.Β 

Find out how to apply with our 3 steps guideline below.


EU countries are starting to reopen their borders to international travelers. However, before heading off to Europe be sure to double check with the country's Embassy or Consulate in your home country as the EU countries are not legally bound to follow this new EU recommendation.

Participating countries

Czech Republic has made Working Holiday visa agreements with the following 3 participating countries:

If you are a Citizen of Czech Republic and are considering a Working Holiday experience in one of the participating countries above, contact the Embassy of the country in question for more information.

With this visa you can

This visa allows you to:

  • Live in Czech Republic for up to one year
  • Work up to one year for one employer
  • Visit other European countries within the Schengen Zone
  • Enrol in one training or study course of up to 6 months of duration.

Things to note

  • Remember to register your residence with the Foreign Police competent for the place of your residence within three working days after arriving in the Czech Republic.



  1. be a Citizen of New Zealand, Australia or Canada
  2. intend to holiday in the Czech Republic, with employment being an incidental rather than a primary reason for the visit
  3. be aged between 18 and 35 years (18-26 years for Australians)
  4. not bring your children with you to the Czech Republic
  5. possess a valid New Zealand, Australian or Canadian passport

Note: The visa conditions outlined above are subject to change without notice.

How to apply

  • Normal processing time: 6-8 weeks
  • Visa fee: 2,500 CZK

All applicants must apply directly to the Czech Embassy in either Canada, Australia, New Zealand.

New Zealanders can also apply for the visa at the Czech Embassy in Berlin, Brussels and London.

  1. Fill out the visa application form
    Visa application form
  2. Collect the required documents which needs to be submitted together with the visa application form. Here is the checklist for each country:
  3. Once the visa application form is filled out and all the required documents are collected you must submit the application at the Czech Embassy from your respective country; don’t forget to pay the processing fee!

The immigration authority in Czech Republic for processing Working Holiday visa's is Ministry of Foreign Affairs Czech Republic.

Go to: Ministry of Foreign Affairs Czech Republic

Visa quotas

Canada and Australia have a yearly quota limit of the number of Working Holiday & Youth Mobility visa’s they can grant:

  • Canada: 1,150 visa’s per year
  • Australia: 500 visa’s per year

Need more help?

If you are seeking advice about Working Holiday visa's drop a comment below and we will be happy to answer any Working Holiday & Youth Mobility visa question you have! We are travellers too! πŸ™‚

Ask a question below

31 thoughts on “Working Holiday Visa in the Czech Republic”

  1. Hi,
    I am wondering if it is possible to apply for a working visa within Czech Republic once I enter. I am an Australian already in Europe.
    Also do I need to provide proof of accomodation if I have only just entered the country for the whole duration of my stay.

  2. I am not currently in Australia, but I am an Australian citizen. Am I able to have a relative submit my application to the Czech Embassy on my behalf? Or would it be possible to submit the application through the embassy in the country that I am in ?

  3. Hi there

    I have the working holiday visa for NZ citizens and I am getting push back from employers saying I need a work permit, but the embassy website states I am free to work for a contract that does not exceed my visa expiry without a work permit the company just needs to advise the local employment office.

    It’s very confusing and I have interviews lined up and I am scared they will say the same thing and I will loose out on the position.

    Thank you so much

  4. Hi,

    If you have a working holiday visa will you still be restricted to the 90-180 rule across the Schengen or can you travel freely?


  5. Hi,

    If I have a 1 year working holiday visa, will my travel into the Schengen countries be limited to the 90/180 rule?


  6. Do you need to enter the country within a certain number of days after having your visa approved? Or can you just go any time within the year

  7. Hello, I am wondering if it is possible to obtain a working holiday visa while within the Czech Republic? I am a Canadian who previously secured a working holiday visa for Slovakia, and travelled there. However, I now intend to reside and work in the Czech Republic. Thank you very much.

  8. Hi i want to apply for a working holiday visa from australia and i am departing on my gap year in a few weeks, if there a priority service for the visa processing time? where can i find it ? how much is it ?

  9. Hey there!
    I’m a Canadian citizen I’ll be headed to Europe/Prague soon for some long-term travel. I’m hoping to stay working in Prague on the WHV throughout the year.
    I’m wondering if there’s a possible way to apply if my housing has not been sorted yet (Can I list a hostel as accommodation for the beginning of my stay?).
    And if I have done some travelling around the Schengen zone in the same year prior to getting the WHV can I only stay in the Czech Republic due to the 90 day limit? Or are short trips into the Schengen zone permitted even if I’ve used up all or most of the 90 days?

  10. Hello, I was wondering. With filling out the visa application, are you able to do it online or do you have to print it out or scan it and send it that way or send a hard copy somewhere?

  11. Hello, I was wondering. With filling out the visa application, are you able to do it online or do you have to print it out or scan it and send it that way or send a hard copy somewhere?

  12. Hi,
    I am a New Zealand Citizen traveling around Europe. I am currently in Spain atm, my base is in Germany with my partner, so I am back and forth from Germany. I am wondering if I will be able to apply for a Working Holiday Visa for the Czech Republic while I am in Germany, or do I have to be in New Zealand to apply for a Working Holiday Visa there?

  13. Hello!
    I’m a New Zealand citizen and have my appointment with Czech Embassy in London next week for WHS Visa πŸ™‚

    I have a few questions below – the embassy is very slow responding to me and I’m getting worried that it’s going to be a big waste of time and money if my documents aren’t correct.

    1. One of the requirements listed is proof of accomodation, but how can I provide this when I’m not in the Czech Republic? And why would I have it before being approved for the Visa?

    2. After my appointment will I be required to wait 60-120 days in London from that point? Will they return my passport for this waiting period?

    3. Do I have to have my documents translated into Czech, if so, all of them?

    Thanks so much, any help really appreciated!

  14. Hi there, I have just arrived in Prague on the NZ WHV visa, and have been looking around for some jobs. I have been told that I am only able to work a maximum of 3 months with each employer while I am here on this WHV visa, is that correct? I understood that I could “Work up to one year for one employer”, as mentioned further up on this page. Can you please clarify this?? Thanks so much!

  15. Hi, I am a Canadian living in europe on a Swedish working holiday visa. I wish to get a working holiday visa for Czech as I will be eventually living there with my partner. Can I apply for a working holiday visa from within Europe, or do i have to fly back to Canada. Would it be easier to apply for a different kind of visa
    thanks so much

  16. Hi team,

    I am hoping to apply for my WHV next year and was wondering if I need to send my passport away with the application? Just looking at the 6-8 week processing time.


    1. Hi Fran, from my understanding your Passport does not need to be physically posted as an insert is added my local Police on arrival to Czech Republic (within 3 days of arriving). I recommend you contact your nearest Czech Republic Embassy or Consulate and confirm whether they need the phyiscal Passport or if witnessed photocopies are acceptable. For my Working Holiday visa for Denmark they needed a photocopy of every page of my Passport. I hope this helps! πŸ™‚

  17. Hi! Thank you for the information it’s very helpful.

    I am 17 years old however by the time i will be in the Czech Republic i will be about 18 and a half, can i apply for the Youth Mobility while i am 17 as long as i am 18 when i leave? Or can i not apply until i am 18? I am Australian (but also have a dual citizenship with Canada) but will be living in the Netherlands before going to Czech Republic so would rather sort out the visas before i leave, however i will still be 17 at that time.


    1. Hi Jaydan, thanks for asking, you should be okay, since you will be living in the Netherlands before traveling to the Czech Republic confirm with the closest Embassy or Consulate here in Australia as ti how you can apply for your Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa whilst abroad as they may ask you simply to complete it when you arrive in Czech Republic as is the case for Germany. Have a great adventure!

  18. Hey I am from New Zealand and am just finishing my work holiday season in Austria and want to go to Czech Republic. Can I register in my first three days with the police on a tourist 3 month visa and then apply for my work and travel 1 year visa while staying in Czech. Thanks heaps

    1. Hi Dominic, have you already been issued a Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa insert in your Passport by a Consulate or Embassy of the Czech Republic? If you haven’t yet this will happen when you register on arrival to the local Police in Czech Republic. You do not need to stay in the Czech Republic for the duration of your visa but Police/immigration may require a permanent address in order to process your visa application.

  19. Hello and thank you for the information!
    My question is : does the visa begin on a certain date according to the application or will the visa officially begin when I enter the Czech Republic?

    1. Hi Jon, thanks for asking, in the case of the Czech Republic it is the date of issuance but this condition is agreed between participating countries so I would contact the Czech Embassy or Consulate in Canada to clarify whether this applies to you. So you can make the most of your Czech experience ask them if they can mark the issuance date to match your expected date of departure.

  20. Once entering the Czech republic on the WHV you have to register with police within 3 days. My question is I don’t have a landlord I’m just going to stay in hostels and such for most of the year. Should I just go to the office with confirmation of where I’m staying eg. (Hostels) with all the other required documents

    1. Hi Chris, 3 days is pretty short! I’ll get that information up on this page.

      Yes definitely approach the local Police station and make them aware that you are in transitional accomodation and will come back to them once you secure permanent accomodation; I did the same in Hamburg, Germany and while it’s not ideal it’s better than nothing. Have fun in the Czech Republic! πŸ™‚

  21. Hi,

    I’m a Canadian citizen currently living in Prague under a Youth Mobility visa.

    What is the process to apply for visa to live here for second year or more (long-term) since the Youth Mobility only lasts a year?

    Thank you

    1. Hi M, thanks for asking. I hope you had a great year in Prague! Now is a good time to make an appointment with your nearest Czech immigration office and ask them what visa options are available to you as a Canadian Citizen. The months of June-August are the busiest for visa application processing so get any visa application in well before this period. If all fails and you’re still under 31 years old why not move to a neighboring country (e.g. Poland, Germany, Austria, Denmark, Slovakia or Hungary), you can always visit as you’re so close! πŸ™‚

Ask a question about applying for the Working Holiday Visa in Czech Republic

Remember to include where you are from and whether you currently living outside your home country.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow by Email