Working Holiday Visa in Australia

About this visa

This visa helps young people come to Australia. You can generally apply for this visa if you have at least $3,900 USD to live on during your stay. While you’re here you can study and work while you enjoy your extended holiday of up to two years!

Participating countries

Australia has made Working Holiday visa agreements with the following 42 participating countries:

If you are a Citizen of Australia and are considering a Working Holiday experience in one of the participating countries above see where your Passport can take you!

With this visa you can

This visa allows you to:

  • stay in Australia for up to 12 months
  • work in Australia, generally for up to six months with each employer
  • study for up to four months
  • leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid

Things to note

You need a valid passport or other travel document for this visa. If you plan to get a new passport, you should do so before applying for your visa. If you get a new passport after you have lodged your application, give the details of your new passport to one of their offices.


You might be able to get this visa if you:

  • have not previously entered Australia on a Work and Holiday (Temporary) visa (subclass 462)
  • hold a valid passport from a country involved in the Working Holiday Program with Australia
  • have turned 18 years of age but have not yet turned 31
  • are a genuine visitor who wants to have a holiday in Australia
  • have enough money to support yourself on a working holiday (about AUD 5000)
  • have enough money to buy a return or onward travel ticket at the end of your stay
  • will not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay.


Second Working Holiday Visa

To apply for a second Working Holiday (Temporary) visa (subclass 417), you must:

  • have complied with all the conditions on your first Working Holiday visa
  • have not previously held more than one Working Holiday visa
  • have completed three months of specified work in regional Australia while on your first Working Holiday visa
  • have not yet turned 31 years of age.

If you are already in Australia, and wish to remain onshore, you should apply for a second Working Holiday visa before your current visa expires and before you have turned 31 years of age.

Note: The visa conditions outlined above are subject to change without notice.

How to apply

  • Normal processing time: 2 weeks
  • Visa fee: 440

The easiest way to apply for the Australian Working Holiday visa is online via the Australian Immigration Department’s website. We have a direct link to their site below.

The immigration authority in Australia for processing Working Holiday visa's is Australian Home Affairs.

Go to: Australian Home Affairs

Need more help?

If you are seeking advice about Working Holiday visa's drop a comment below and we will be happy to answer any Working Holiday & Youth Mobility visa question you have! We are travellers too! 🙂

Ask a question below

2 thoughts on “Working Holiday Visa in Australia”

    1. Hi Eudenice, unfortunately the Working Holiday visa for Australia is limited to individuals who are not yet 31 years old with the exception being Citizens of Ireland and Canada where it is now up to 35 years old.

Ask a question about applying for the Working Holiday Visa in Australia

Remember to include where you are from and whether you currently living outside your home country.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *