About this visa

Live in beautiful green Ireland for up to one year if you are young travellers from Australia and New Zealand. Young Canadians have the opportunity to work and travel up to two years!

Participating countries

Ireland has made Working Holiday visa agreements with the following 3 participating countries:

If you are a Citizen of Ireland and are considering a Working Holiday experience in one of the participating countries above, contact the Embassy of the country in question for more information.

With this visa you can

This visa allows you to:

  • Live in Ireland up to one year (two years if you are Canadian)
  • Work for one employer for 6 months
  • Visit other European countries within the Schengen Zone
  • Re-enter after travelling overseas

Things to note

You must remember to register for the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) Registration Card. You should apply for this card as soon as possible after arrival, either through the GNIB office at 13/14 Burgh Quay Dublin 2 (for residents of Dublin) or through your local Garda (police) station outside Dublin.


In order to apply for the Irish working holiday visa you must meet the following requirements;

  • Be aged between 18-30 years old (18-35 years old if you are Canadian)
  • Have a valid Canadian, Australian or New Zealand passport
  • Pay the processing fee
  • Have a travel insurance which covers the length of the visa
  • Proof of enough fund to support your stay (Min CAD$2,500 for Canadians, NZD 3,000 for New Zealanders and AUD 5,000 – or AUD2,500 if you have a return ticket to Australia)
  •  You must not be accompanied or joined by a spouse or dependents

Note: The visa conditions outlined above are subject to change without notice.

How to apply

  • Normal processing time: 10 working days
  • Visa fee: 95 AUD (195 AUD for 5 days processing period) For Canadians the fee is $150
  1. Collect the required visa documents. See the checklist for Australians, New Zealanders and Canadians
  2. Fill in your application form
  3. The completed form, with supporting documents, fee and photos, should be sent by registered mail or courier to the Embassy of Ireland, 20 Arkana St, Yarralumla, ACT 2600 (For Australians) Canadians must apply directly to Embassy of Ireland in Ottawa. Applications from New Zealand citizens are processed through the Honorary Consulate General of Ireland in Auckland

The immigration authority in Ireland for processing Working Holiday visa's is Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Ireland.

Go to: Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Ireland

Need more help?

If you are seeking advice about Working Holiday visa's drop a comment below and we will be happy to answer any Working Holiday & Youth Mobility visa question you have! We are travellers too! 🙂

Ask a question below

Ask a question about applying for the Working Holiday Visa in Ireland

Remember to include where you are from and whether you currently living outside your home country.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *