Working Holiday Visa in Italy

About this visa

Buongiorno! Wanting to spend a year drinking wine and eating delicious cheese?

This visa  helps young people from Australia, Canada, South Korea and New Zealand come to Italy. You can generally apply for this visa if you have at least $4,500 USD to live on during your stay. While you’re here you can work while you enjoy your extended holiday of up to a year!

Participating countries

Italy has made Working Holiday visa agreements with the following 4 participating countries:

If you are a Citizen of Italy and are considering a Working Holiday experience in one of the participating countries above, contact the Embassy of the country in question for more information.

With this visa you can

This visa allows you to:

  • Live in Italy up to a year
  • Work in Italy up to 6 months

Things to note

  • You can work in Italy for up to 6 months but only for a maximum of 3 months for the same employer

For Australians

Working Holiday visa holders from Australia are covered by the Australia–Italy Reciprocal Health Care Agreement during the first six months of their stay in Italy. Private Health cover is required for the remaining 6 months of stay in Italy.


  1. Be a resident in your home country
  2. Be aged between 18 and 30 years inclusive at the time of application for the visa
  3. Not include any minor dependents in the application
  4. Have not previously taken part in the Working Holiday scheme
  5. Hold a valid Passport
  6. Hold a valid return travel ticket or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket
  7. Possess sufficient funds to support oneself during the period of stay in Italy (equivalent of at least EUR 3,500 for a stay of one year). The applicant’s proof of financial means is to be demonstrated by showing the funds themselves or by bank surety or insurance guaranteed policy or equivalent instrument of credit or with instruments of prepaid services or with definite proof of the availability of sources of income in Italy
  8. Bank statements must be dated within 3 months of time of application
  9. Have good health and a sound background and a travel/medical insurance covering the intended period of stay

Note: The visa conditions outlined above are subject to change without notice.

How to apply

  • Normal processing time: 2-3 weeks
  • Visa fee: 100 EUR

Three basic steps have to be followed in order to come to Italy and work under the Working Holiday Visa Agreement:

  1. Obtain the Working Holiday visa from the Italian Consulate which is closest to your place of residence
  2. Apply at the Immigration office of the Questura (Police headquarters) for a Permesso di Soggiorno ( Permit of residence) within 8 days of arriving in Italy
  3. Using the Permesso di Soggiorno (or the receipt proving that you have submitted an application for a Permesso di Soggiorno) submit a request for a Work Permit to the Labour Office through your prospective employer

The immigration authority in Italy for processing Working Holiday visa's is Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Go to: Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Additional resources

Here are additional links and resources related to the Working Holiday visa in Italy. All resources are in English unless otherwise stated.

Need more help?

If you are seeking advice about Working Holiday visa's drop a comment below and we will be happy to answer any Working Holiday & Youth Mobility visa question you have! We are travellers too! 🙂

Ask a question below

10 thoughts on “Working Holiday Visa in Italy”

    1. Hi Kailee, unfortunately due to the reciprical nature of the Working Holiday/Youth Mobility program that both countries allow youth from each country to live in the others country Americans currently have limited opportunities.

      I am not aware of a reciprical agreement being made that supports Citizens of Italy and the United States of America but would suggest you contact the State Department ( and urge them to encourage Working Holiday visa opportunities with Italy. 🙂

  1. Hey there.. if I’m in Italy already can I do the visa process from here? Or do I need to leave the country?
    Thank you

    1. Hi Noa, since you’re already in the country approach Italian immigration directly, your circumstances are unique and will be taken into consideration. If you knew that you needed to apply from your home country and ignored it then that’s a different situation. Be courteous, patient and they’ll get you sorted. Let us know you go! 🙂

    1. Hi So, thanks for asking! Unfortunately the most recent information on the current Working Holiday Visa agreement between South Korea and Italy suggests this is still limited to youth aged 18-30, this is starting to change for other Visa Country’s (e.g. Australia, Canada) as they bump that limit up to 35 years old but this will not be applicable for Italy or your situation.

      Please consider looking at a traditional Italian work visa, mission visa and/or the Elective Residence visa.

  2. Hi my name is Sarah,

    I am from Australia and currently living in Australia, I have my interview with the Brisbane consulate this Wednesday the 6/02/2019 to apply for my working Holiday visa.

    I have a few questions,
    Do I need to have a job lined up already with a company over in Italy to apply for the visa?
    I have already bought my flights which leave in April and want to know if this will be enough time to get the Visa?

    1. Hi Sarah, thanks for asking. I bet you’re excited, for your appointment take along all required documentation including proof of financials or an ability to support yourself during your stay.

      You do not need to have a job lined up in Italy, work conditions are there if you want to use it to suppliment your living expenses for up to 6 months during your stay, and up to 3 months for each employer; it is not a requirement.

      You have plenty of time! The Consulate will likely process your Working Holiday visa application on the spot and make ammendments to your Passport.

      Do remember that within 8 days of arriving in Italy you need to visit the Immigration office of the Questura (Police headquarters) for a “Permesso di Soggiorno” (Permit of residence) and if you do choose to work that when you are offered a job that you need to request a Work Permit, your employee can help you with that! Enjoy your adventure! 🙂

  3. Hi there, I’m Edyn and i’m from NZ.
    Just a few questions regarding my working holiday visa. I have filled out all the documents required for it and am waiting to send it off but am waiting for my passport to get renewed – theres been a delay and so I wont have it for a least another 2 weeks probably. My host family is wanting me on the 9th of feb and I haven’t been able to even send off my visa yet so not sure if it’ll get accepted in time.
    Do you know if i can go into Italy on just the tourist visa (so for up to 90 days) and while i’m over there apply for the visa, or is that not allowed in Italy??
    Thanks so much

    1. Hi Edyn, I hope you got this all sorted. Under the above circumstances you would have no problem entering Italy on a tourist visa and then presenting yourself at immigration in Italy and applying there, they won’t be happy but they’ll help you, if that fails contact the Consultate/Embassy in New Zealand and they can intervene.

Ask a question about applying for the Working Holiday Visa in Italy

Remember to include where you are from and whether you currently living outside your home country.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *