Working Holiday Visa in Germany

About this visa

3 Simple Steps to Apply for a Working Holiday Visa in Germany

This working holiday visa helps young people from the participating countries to come to Germany. Find out how to apply and what documents you will need to provide to the German Authorities upon arrival. 


EU countries are starting to reopen their borders to international travelers. However, before heading off to Europe be sure to double check with the country's Embassy or Consulate in your home country as the EU countries are not legally bound to follow this new EU recommendation.

Participating countries

Germany has made Working Holiday visa agreements with the following 12 participating countries:

If you are a Citizen of Germany and are considering a Working Holiday experience in one of the participating countries above, contact the Embassy of the country in question for more information.

With this visa you can

This visa allows you to:

  • Stay in Germany for up to one year
  • Work for an employer for up to one year
  • Visit other EU/Schengen Area countries during your Working Holiday visa period
  • Leave and re-enter Germany any number of times while the visa is valid

Things to note

  • In Germany the working holiday visa is referred to as the Youth Mobility vis
  • you can work for 12 months on either a minimum employment basis (less than EUR 450 per month) or up to 50 days per year as part of a full-time job
  • you are not allowed to begin work in Germany without a valid Working Holiday visa
  • you can only participate once

For Israelis

  • You can work for each employer up to three months
  • You can participate in training courses up to 6 months in duration


You must pass the following requirements:

  • be a Citizen of one of the above Partner countries
  • be aged between 18 and 30 years old (including 30); for Canadian Citizens the age limit is between 18 and 35 years old (including 35)
  • not be accompanied by dependent family members (e.g. children)
  • your Passport must exceed the end of your stay by at least 3 months
  • have proof of health insurance valid in Germany (e.g. travel insurance for Germany) with coverage of at least €30,000 (EUR) including costs for medical evacuation/repatriation
  • show a recent bank statement (with full name) indicating proof of sufficient funds – up to $5,500 (USD) for the duration of your stay
  • pay the €75 (EUR) visa fee at time of visa application in Germany

Note: The visa conditions outlined above are subject to change without notice.

How to apply

  • Normal processing time: 1-2 weeks
  • Visa fee: 75 EUR

Most applicants must apply in person by the respective German Embassy in their home country prior to coming to Germany.

Applying upon arrival to Germany

If you are a Citizen of the following countries you can apply for the Working Holiday visa after entering Germany at the local immigration authority (Ausländerbehörde), these countries are:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • New Zealand

The Working Holiday visa can be issued on the same day as your appointment.

A map of local immigration authority offices (Ausländerbehörde) in Germany are below:

Link to Google Maps

Note: Even though you may be able to apply for a Working Holiday visa after entering Germany on a tourist visa the preferred method is still by contacting the German Embassy in your home country.

Applying from your home country

For Australians

Prepare your application as follows:

Go to: German Missions in Australia

For Canadians

Prepare your application as follows:

Go to: German Missions in Canada

For Israelis

Go to: German Embassy of Tel Aviv

For Japanese

Go to: German Consulate General in Japan

For New Zealanders

Prepare your application as follows:

Go to: German Embassy in Wellington


Additional resources

Here are additional links and resources related to the Working Holiday visa in Germany. All resources are in English unless otherwise stated.



New Zealand


Need more help?

If you are seeking advice about Working Holiday visa's drop a comment below and we will be happy to answer any Working Holiday & Youth Mobility visa question you have! We are travellers too! 🙂

Ask a question below

107 thoughts on “Working Holiday Visa in Germany”

  1. Hello,

    I am from South Korea and i am applying for German working holiday visa soon:)
    I wish to travel to Switzerland during my german working holiday visa period but more than 90 days. Is this possible? It seems like there had been similar questions answered but I would love to know the latest information if possible.

    Thank you!

  2. Hello,
    Thank you so much for answering all
    Of our questions. I am from NZ and was planning on getting a working holiday visa and get a job in Germany and save up as much as possible so I can keep travelling.
    Could you clarify the limit on earning (less than 450€ per week or 50 days per year full time) is there another visa I can apply for to get around this (as I want to earn and save as much as possible)
    Also, can I double check that I a can apply for the visa in a German embassy in a country that is not my own? I am already in Europe and would rather confirm my visa before entering Germany.
    Thanks again!

  3. Hello, I am a 31 year old NZ citizen and passport holder travelling the Schengen area on a 90 day Schengen visa with my partner.
    I have been offered a job in Germany but am unsure if I am able to obtain a working visa without returning to NZ. From what I’ve read I need to visit the German embassy in NZ in person to obtain a work visa.
    Do you know any way I can do this while in Germany?


  4. Hi, I was wondering if it’s fine to get the Germany WHV if I meet the requirements but don’t plan on finding a job in Germany? I’m from New Zealand and am planning to continue working remotely for my NZ company while travelling in Germany and Europe. So would be using the WHV as a way to travel in Germany and the Schengen area for a longer period than 90/180 days, but don’t actually need to find work in Germany. I was going to apply for the visa from NZ before I go, as I don’t think I will have a permanent address in Germany for Anmeldung.

    Also, if I plan to stay for less than 12 months and have a return ticket, would I still need to get out travel insurance for the full 12 month duration of the visa before applying?


  5. Hello I am from Australia and I have arrived in Germany on the 3 months free entry visa. I am wondering if I have to apply for my working holiday visa within two weeks on entering? I have already passed the two week period and Wondering if it’s still possible for me to apply. Thanks!

  6. Hi!

    I am an Australian citizen currently in The Netherlands on a working holiday visa.
    I want to apply for a working holiday visa in Germany after this.
    Is it possible to apply while my Dutch visa has not been expired yet? Let’s say two weeks before?


  7. Hi! I am an Argentinian citizen living in Ecuador. I would like to go to Germany as an AuPair with an AuPair Visa and while I’m there, extending my stay there with a Working Holiday visa. Do you think it’s possible?

  8. Hello,

    I want to apply for the working holiday visa (I’m 30 not yet 31) but I want to take an intensive language course while living here in Germany. Is it possible to study while on a working holiday visa?
    I hope to do the language course and apply for a few preparatory courses but not sure if it’s permitted on a working holiday visa.
    I’m Australian. Thanks
    Kind regards

  9. Hello! I am trying to apply for WH visa after entering to Germany. I am coming from Israel. I found information, that I need money proof for only first three month( about 2000 euro). Do I need to open a blocked account or just regular account in Germany? Or it supposed to be other way?

    1. Hi Alex, immigration require a recent bank statement showing that you have access to that amount, it does not need to be blocked or even in a German bank account; it just has to show that you can support yourself financially. I hope this helps!

  10. Hi there,

    What is the maximum time allowed between an accepted application and arrival?

    I am from NZ and wanting to push back my planned travel to Germany next year due to Covid, however, I turn 31 in early April so I would need to apply by then at the latest. Say I apply late March, how late could I theoretically arrive in Germany and begin my 1 year?


    1. Hi Scott, reach out to German immigration via your local embassy for more information on age exceptions, I’m confident they will make broad exceptions after this current wave in Europe has passed; Germany had 22-23K cases confirmed in the last 24 hours just to put it in perspective.

  11. Can I apply in February to go to Germany in November? (I turn 31 in Feb but my visa in australia ends in November next year and I would like to leave the country then

  12. Hi!
    A chilean friend o mine want to apply for the working holiday visa, but the german embassy in Chile is closed due to Covid. Do you know if it’s possible to apply for the visa in another european country without being a resident there?
    Thanks a lot!

  13. Hi. Do you know if I have to apply at one of the immigration offices shown on the map or can I apply at any office i.e. at a smaller town.
    Thanks! 🙂

  14. Hi, I recently got my Working Holiday Visa for Germany and currently find myself looking for jobs. Above you state that a mini job is an option (up to 450 EUR / month) or 50 days on full-time basis per year. Where did you get this information? And what about the category Midi-Job and other part-time employment? I can’t seem to find any regulations on the job types I can accept, and how the process with regards to registering for social security services (automatic for any job above mini-job) works. Certain provinces allow a Gewerbeschein as well, others don’t (for example to work in the field of taking care of children). It’s all very confusing and the Ausländerbehörde is not fully running during Covid. Any leads towards a written document by the German Government laying out these details? I’d appreciate it!

      1. Ok thanks! Could you explain why on the Working Holiday Visas for US citizens it does not list Germany if this is true? I was told by a friend from Argentina that the German Working Holiday visa is possible for US citizens, but I can’t find much information to confirm this. Thanks so much!

  15. My girlfriend is interested in applying for a German working holiday visa. She is a New Zealand citizen but she has not been resident in New Zealand since December 2019. Currently she is in the UK with myself.

    For applying for the working holiday visa does she need to be resident in her own country?

    1. Hi Josh,

      Your girlfriend does not need to apply from New Zealand, she can apply for the working Holiday visa after entering Germany at the local immigration authority (Ausländerbehörde). You can find the locations of the Ausländerbehörde under the How to Apply section on our website +

  16. Hello, I am from Canada and wanting to move to Germany this year on a working holiday visa. I can enter Germany first without a working holiday visa and apply for one within 90 days of entering.
    The documents requested in the appointment in the Ausländerbehörde are they the same as the documents requested bu the toronto consulat ? And for the Ameldung, do I need to register my address first, then apply? Thank you for your time and answers

    1. Hi Soraya,

      Visit our page to see which documents are required to apply for the working holiday visa in Germany for Canadians.
      You can find which documents to bring under the ‘How to Apply’ section – there is a Canadian visa documents section.
      The requested documents are the same for Auslanderbehorde and Toronto Consulate.

      You will first need your visa before registering your address (Some Register offices accept addresses of a hostel you are staying in).

      Hope this answers your questions.


  17. Im currently living in Germany and already did a year on the youth mobility visa category A as an Au pair. I have read on multiple Offical websites that it is possible for Canadians to apply for the youth mobility visa twice if for a different category is this true? I want to just work mini jobs for the next year which would be category D. However no one seems to have heard about this.

    1. Yes you can!
      I have my appointment tomorrow at the auslanderbehorde, and the woman I have been corresponding with there just told me to bring the ‘declaration with regards to the visa application to participate in a youth mobility program’ form
      ( to indicate the change of category plus all the other required documents (pass, insurance, financial means etc). I don’t have a work contract, though, so I’m not sure how this will work out (I’ve been here in Berlin on the category D, and I’m switching to the A).
      Anyway, it’s definitely possible. Best of luck.

      1. Hello Alison! I come from Canada on a D category visa. I ,a going to be renewing it again this year with A! I see you said to bring the document that states I’m switching. What else should I bring? Work contract? Is the process or anything online? I saw I need to register. I feel like I’m unprepared. I had issues last year as they did not understand how Canada did it and they don’t speak English so they did not understand my visa when I first got here and just gave me a new one. I’d appreciate all the help because I am doing the exact same thing you did in the next few weeks. Thank you.

        1. Hi Tanner,

          Unfortunately, nothing is online in Germany. I would recommend you to bring anything you got. The more the merrier in this case.
          So bring the work contract you have. If you live somewhere, bring a document too to state you live there etc.

          Hope this helps


      2. Hello,
        i am not sure if this is the right way to contact you so just gonna hope for the best.
        i was wondering how did it go at Auslanderbehorde? i am in the same situation, switching to 2.A. . do i need a proof of enrollment from a language school or mini-job contract?
        or just the requirement documents as you mentioned above?
        Thanks in advance for your time

    2. Hello,
      I am in the same situation as you were. Would you please share information how did the process go? Can i r4egister at full german course and apply for Visa A?
      Could I get a mini job contract for a year and apply for Visa A?
      Any sources of information would extremely appreciated.
      Thanks for your time.

  18. Hello, I am a canadian citizen currently living in Berlin. I have the youth Mobility Visa and Anmeldung here. Im wondering tho, if i am able to work elsewhere in the Schengen Zone with this Visa or if I am only able to work in German? Thanks

    1. Hi Bruce,

      You are only able to work in Germany with this visa. You must apply for another working holiday visa / Youth mobility program in the country you wish to work in next.
      You can use our visa finder to see where else you are eligible to work and travel in Europe with a Canadian passport –

      Safe travels!


  19. Hey there, I am from Canada and wanting to move to Germany this year on a working holiday visa however I am confused about some things. From what I understand, I can enter Germany first without a working holiday visa and apply for one within 90 days of entering.
    Do I need to register my address first, then apply? Will I be able to find accommodation & job before receiving the visa? Also I’ve heard you are only allowed to make up to 400 Euro/mo which doesn’t seem enough to live off of? Thanks!

    1. Hi Jane, sorry about replying so late!
      Once the borders are open again, you can enter under a tourist visa, and then apply for the working holiday visa at a local Burgeramt in Germany. You must first apply for the visa before registering your address (It can sometimes be the address of the hostel you are staying in, if you have not found a room to rent).
      We recommend you to start finding a room before entering Germany, and when you are in Germany then you can start the job hunting.
      450 EUR a month may not seem like a lot off money, but in Germany you can pay for a room and food for a month with this salary. However, we do recommend you to have some savings to support your travels while you are in Germany, if you wish to travel and explore Europe.


  20. Hi I am a Canadian, living in Canada. I want to apply for the Youth Mobility Visa in Germany after I arrive. I want to apply under Sec 2A, “young professionals who wish to obtain further training under a contract of employment…”
    do you know what satisfies the criteria for “Professional” & “Contract”?

    1. Hi Sarah,

      A young professional refers to your profession and you have been hired by a German company to obtain further training within your field. (E.g. Engineer, Programmer, Marketing Coordinator, Graphic Designer etc.)


  21. Hey there! I’m Canadian currently in Europe and successfully received my YMV after applying from Toronto before I left. Do you know if I have unrestricted travel authorization throughout the Schengen district with this visa? Or am I limited to the standard 90/180 days Schengen Visa for all other Schengen countries and if so do you know how strictly this is enforced, given Schengen is a passport free travel zone? Also, do you have a sense if it’s only when I plan to stay in one part of Germany for more than 3 months that I need to register with the authorities? Any thoughts or resources you have to share would be so great! Thank you so much, Jamie

    1. Hi Jamie, sorry about getting back to you so late!
      Once the COVID-19 situation has settled, you will have unrestricted travel authorization throughout the Schengen area.
      Yes, you only need to register your address to the authorities if you plan to stay in a town/city for more than 3 months.


  22. Good evening, I’m a Chilean citizen with a Residence Permit from Italy. What happens with my Italian Visa if I also apply for a Working Holiday in Germany? Does it get canceled?
    Thanks for your help.
    Best regards.

    1. Hi Nicolas,

      If you have a residence permit in Italy, you might be able to reside and work in Germany. Check your residence permit conditions for residing in another EU country, before applying for the working holiday visa.
      If your residence permit does not allow you to work and reside in Germany, your residence permit in Italy will only get cancelled if this is stated in your permit conditions.


  23. I’ve just applied a working holiday visa, the start date is 31 Dec, but can I arrive Germany before my Visa start date using tourist visa (just to settle in for rental and stuffs?) and re-enter to activate the working holiday visa?

  24. Hi,
    My partner (from NZ) is currently in Germany and has an appointment on the 21st of Nov for the working holiday visa. He has been there since 27th August so therefore his 90 days is up on the 27th of Nov (ish) – should this be enough time to get the visa (if accepted) and if it takes longer can he travel to other Schengen Areas after his 90 days but during his visa processing?

  25. Hi,
    The checklist for a New Zealander to go to Germany on a WHV says that you need a recent biometric passport photo. How recent does this photo need to be? My passport was updated in June 2017 and I don’t have the original photo. Is it ok to just have a scan of the passport? Or do I need to get a recent photo taken? If I need a new photo taken would I need to update my passport?

  26. Thanks for your informative post! I applied for my visa in Wellington, but sadly a 6-month working restriction was placed on my visa so wished I had applied in Berlin instead.

    After I applied for my visa I booked one of Nomaden Berlin’s packages for anmeldung which has been super helpful, they will help me switch my Working Holiday visa to an Employment one after 6-months. It’s been a great way to meet people too.

    1. Awesome Matt, thanks for letting us know, and yes once you’re “on the books” in Germany it is very easy to transition to a traditional work visa. Prost!

  27. Hi, I’m a Canadian staying in Germany for one year and my Youth Mobility Visa(YMV) is about to end. I choose (d) “tourism and cultural discovery purposes” reason on my first application. Now I want to extend it by a job contract and choosing (a) “under a contract of employment”. I have furthering questions:
    Can I use part-time contract instead of a full-time(working 2/3 days a week)? Is the duration of the YMV depends on the duration of my job contract or are they issuing 1 year straight regardless of my contracts duration?

  28. Hi there,
    I am already in Munich working on a short internship and want to apply for my YMV here (I am Canadian) so that I can extend my stay in the Schengen Area beyond 90 days (my internship is only 80). However, I cannot find any information about whether the same forms and documentation are required when applying from within Germany compared to if I applied back in Canada. Can you help me with this?

    1. Hey Margaux,

      I’m in a similar situation to you – as I’m going to apply for my visa once I’m in germany and also have no idea what to do or what documentation I need because there is not information! Have you found out anything helpful yet?

    2. Hi Margaux, just following up on un-answered comments. The same level of documention is required in Germany as would be if applying from home; it’s easier dealing with German immigration directly so you have that advantage.

      (I can see that the link to required documentation here on this page is now invalid so will replace it with an updated resource)

  29. Hello,

    I’m a Canadian citizen interested in applying for the WHV but my spouse isn’t Canadian. Would he be able to join me?
    Or would that only be applicable if I had a work Visa?

    Thank you for your help.

    1. Hi Stephanie, just following up on un-answered comments. The Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa is intended for individuals, your spouse is required to apply for his own visa. You’re correct that only traditional work visa’s entitle you to bring your spouse. I hope you sorted out your visa’s and are enjoying your adventure! 🙂

  30. Hi Michael!

    I am very excited to go to Germany on my WHV at the start of next year. I am planning on doing a Workaway until I find a stable job here with my visa. I am also a bit confused with this process of applying once I am in Germany, as I live in Perth, AUS and if i wanted to apply for the visa here i would have to fly to Sydney. How long do you think the process would take? I am planning on spending a whole day and night in Berlin when I arrive, will this be enough for everything I have to do in Berlin, then I can apply for my work permit anywhere?? Or will I need more time in Berlin. And what kind of work should I apply for once i’m here? I’m thinking of just simple cafe work, is this a hard field to get into? Would this earn me enough money to live here? I can work at a cafe on this Visa right?

    Thanks so much for your help! Whenever i contact an embassy they direct me to the german website for this visa and it really does not answer many of the questions i have!!

    1. Hi Dylan, thanks for asking. As an Australian Passport holder you can apply for your Working Holiday visa on arrival to Germany; you do not need to go to Sydney unless you are not an Australian Passport holder (see the Applying upon arrival to Germany section of this page). The process works like this, you book a flight to Germany and enter as a tourist (Schengen visa), within that 90 day period you submit your application for a Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa with German immigration which entitles you to stay a further 12 months (note that you will need private heath insurance and a permanent address in order to receive a Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa), you then apply for a Work Permit which you can provide to a German employer and start working!

      Yes you can do cafe work, or any type of “mini-job” (which is under 400 EUR per month), contact the German Embassy or Consulate here in Australia to confirm this bit as it’s a bit hazy for all to understand (even the Embassy or Consulate gets confused from time to time!); keep trying.

      I haven’t lived in Berlin so you should reach out to Australian expat community living in Berlin to understand living costs, here’s a resource I found which was pretty close for Hamburg:

      I hope this helps 🙂

      1. Thanks for the reply Michael, it clearned a lot of things up for me! I had just one more additional question, I’m actually not planning on living in Berlin. I already have accomodation for the first couple of months lined up in Aachen, not far from Düsseldorf. Do I have to have this registered address in a Berlin to apply?? Or can the address be registered anywhere in Germany?? Also do I have to apply for this visa in Berlin or can I apply for it somewhere else in Germany, maybe a bit closer to Aachen.

        Thanks for the help!

        1. Hello, I’m also curious about this and am in a very similar situation. Am I able to register an address in another city like Leipzig? And also get the Visa in Leipzig too?

        2. Hi Dylan and Joe, you would need to explain to German immigration that you are in the process of finding permanent accomodation and need to for now register that temporary address. You will still need the Anmeldung document completed by the landlord of that temporary accomodation and provide it to Council before approaching German immigration for your Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa.

          When you settle in permanent accomodation in another District in Germany then you will provide that updated address to Council and German immigration.

  31. Hi,
    my boyfriend from New Zealand is coming to Germany with the WHV and we know that he needs Travel Insurance to be able to get the visa but heard, that he won’t be able to get work with Travel Insurance but will need to have public german health insurance. Is there any way around paying twice for health insurance?
    Thanks for answering all the questions.

    1. Hi Josy, good question, you’re right there are different levels of health insurance and since your partner wishes to work in Germany I would recommend simply getting a health policy in Germany that covers both; in my case I held a policy with HanseMerkur Insurance for the duration of my stay which was compatible with the requirements of my Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa and included liability coverage for employment.

  32. Hello, is it possible to work in Germany full time for 3 months with a working holiday visa? I’m from South Korea and the salary will be above 1000 EUR per month. Thanks!

  33. Good day I’m currently living in New Zealand but still have a South African passport. Me and some friends want to apply for a working holiday visa for Germany in 2020. Their nationalities are under the current countries whom qualify for this visa but mine not.

    What can I do to have a chance of qualifying for a Working Holiday visa into Germany 2020?

    1. Hi Johan, thanks for asking. You’re best reaching out to your nearest Consulate or Embassy (South African High Commission in Wellington) to confirm whether any MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) activities are underway for a Working Holiday visa scheme between South Africa and Germany as that will tell you clearly whether to expect future Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa opportunities. Alternate visa opportunties to enable you to experience German culture include the German Language Course Visa and traditional long-term visa’s, in either case you again should contact the Consulate or Embassy and get that process started as it can take some time.

  34. Hi there,

    I am in desperate need of some help. I am currently on the WHS visa and have been going through the process of transferring this to the residence permit. The comany I have been working for filled all the papers correctly however I firstly got denided because the calucation for my rental payments for the amount I earned was too much. They advised me that if I earnt €200 more and payed lower rent this should be enough, I would then need to email the docutments through, meanwhile they gave me an extension for 3months. Based on their calucations I did this and sent through the docutments I was then asked to have another form filled out and re sent in writing about my payraise. I did not hear anything back from them and was concerned because my extension was due to end so I booked another appointment, when at the offices I was told that everthing was fine I had all the correct docutments and just needed to wait for the reply not another extension was needed, she said everything was fine not to worry. Not hearing back I wrote again and then recieved an email with this …
    ´´die Arbeitsagentur hat leider die Zustimmung zu Ihrer beabsichtigten Beschäftigung nicht erteilt. Als Begründung wurde aufgeführt, dass bevorrechtigte Arbeitnehmer für diese Tätigkeit zur Verfügung stehen würden und des Weiteren würden die Lohnbedingungen nicht den ortsüblichen Bedingungen entsprechen. Das ortsübliche Entgelt beträgt bei der geplanten Tätigkeit mindestens 2200 € im Monat.

    Gern können Sie nochmals mit Ihrem Arbeitgeber sprechen und ggf. neue Unterlagen für eine neue Anfrage einreichen (geänderter Arbeitsvertrag, neue Stellenbeschreibung und Antrag auf Erlaubnis einer Beschäftigung), andernfalls müsste Ihr Antrag auf Erteilung einer Aufenthaltserlaubnis zur Beschäftigung abgelehnt werden. ´ My visa extension ends on friday , I dont understand why they didnt issue it to me everything has been very misleading. Will I get deported? Can I over stay? My company is trying to help as much as they can but any answers here would be greatly appreciated!!

    Thank you very much!

    1. Hi Mikaela, thanks for asking. It’s late here so this reply is just to get the ball rolling. Go visit directly another immigration office (not the one you have been going to) and explain your circumstances, they can issue you a new temporary visa extension so that you can sort out your new residence permit. A favourite German pasttime is blaming someone else, give it a shot and in addition to all supporting documentation if possible take a German native speaker along for support.

      Worst case is you leave Germany and enter another European country on a Schengen tourist visa until you can resolve your residence visa issue but do not overstay at any cost as doing so will lead to your expulsion and a temporary re-entry ban into Germany. You are past the point of phoning and making an appointment, see them directly.

  35. If I get the working WHV but then in 3 months I get a serious job offer but it is over the €450 limit, could I switch to the working visa?

    I am from and living in the United States.

    1. Hi Timothy, you sure can! You would need to transition to your new work visa and have your work permit adjusted before commencing work with the full-time employer. 🙂

  36. Hi, I Am a NZ citizen, i recently got my German 1 year working holiday visa in Poland, i didn’t have to register an address so do i still need to do that to actually be aloud to work in Germany in terms of getting a tax ID? I was also wondering about the nonrestrictive travel in the Schengen zone, does the 90/180 days not apply after getting a German 1 year working holiday visa?

    1. Hi Henry, thanks for asking. Are you now in Germany? If so you will need to contact German immigration and/or the local Government and notify them of your current address (aka Anmeldung), with this paperwork you can then request a work permit and be issued a tax ID to seek casual work in Germany.

      Whilst your Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa is valid you have unrestricted travel within the Schengen zone; as you hold a long-term residence visa in Germany your only limitation is the expiry date of your visa. The day that your Working Holiday visa expires the count on your original Schengen tourist visa will apply.

  37. Hello, I am an Autralian citizen currentlz on a valid WHV in Germanz. I am trying to find information on the possibility of this being extended. I am aware of sponsorship options however I can not find the ‘bottom line’ to know if its worth me trying. I am currently employed and have been there for 10 months. My employers are happy to support me and complete all required documents. I am currently only working part time. Is this okay or is it required to be full time employed. and is it true that once i make an appointment with immigration I can continue to work until my appointment even past my Visa end date. I really appreciate you time in reading this. Thank you

    1. Hi April, thanks for asking. First off you should confirm with the labour department in Germany who issued the work permit to clarify if you can continue to work whilst on a temporary visa extension, I don’t know the answer here but would be very sure of yourself here to avoid violating the conditions of your temporary residence visa. German immigration can issue you a temporary visa extension for the period of time between your current Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa expiring and next appointment but you should see them in advance to organise this.

    1. Hi Dav, I used the following Working Holiday insurance for the duration of my Working Holiday/Youth Mobility stay in Germany; a letter is issued to German immigration indicating that the coverage complies with their requirements.

      HanseMerkur Reiseversicherung AG

      (I took out a policy of up to 5 years and cancelled it after 12 months without incuring a penalty)

  38. I have just moved to Germany from Australia and I am very confused about this whole process. I am currently resigning with friends and have been offered work (not in Berlin) I don’t have a visa. I was wondering what process I need to undertake to gain a visa and be eligible to work. Thanks

    1. Hi Kyra, thanks for asking. The whole process for work permits isn’t very well documented so we’re doing our best here!

      In order to get a German Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa with work provision you will need to:
      – first register your address with the local Council
      – complete the Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa application
      – apply to the Federal Employment Agency who will confirm your Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa’s validity and issue your work permit

      If your friends that you are currently staying with own their property then they can sign the required document (Anmeldung) which you can take to your local Council, however if they’re renting then you will need the landlord to sign it on your behalf; being Germany you’ll need to be lucky here.

      In your circumstance I would approach the local Council (Kundenzentren) and explain that you are new to Berlin and wish to provide a temporary address so that your Anmeldung is completed, on the provision that you will provide an updated permanent address as soon as you secure work and/or choose where you are going to live for the next 12 months. You could also try approaching German immigration (Ausländerdienststellen) directly and explain the circumstances as they may waiver the Anmeldung requirement also on the above provision that you tell them your permanent address as soon as possible so that you can get your work permit issued. Let us know how you go!

  39. Hello!
    I’m from Chile. I was wondering if I could apply for a working holiday Visa for Germany at an ambassy in another country then Chile, for example The Netherlands. Or can I only apply in my home country?

    1. Hi Marcos, while German immigration would prefer you to apply from your home country if you are not currently residing in Chile you can approach any Embassy/Consulate (including The Netherlands aka Holland). Are you currently living in The Netherlands?

      Please note that Chilean Citizens require additional supporting documentation (e.g. motivational letter, financial statements, etc.) so please check with the Embassy/Consulate on this information as the required documentation is not clear and let us know how you go! 🙂

  40. Hey, can I only work I Berlin or can I work everywhere?
    And what do I need when I come to Germany without a visa and I want to apply for it in Germany? (From Australia)

    1. Hi Lana, thanks for asking. You can work anywhere in Berlin witih your Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa in Germany. The catch is for each town/city that you wish to work in you will need to register your residential address with the local council. If you are just visiting then you are considered a tourist but any work will require you to visit the local council and provide your residential address.

      When it comes to getting the visa Australians can simply arrive as a tourist (Schengen visa) then when you have found accomodation and provided your residential address to the local council you can approach German immigration and they can issue a Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa on the spot; note that order as your visa will not be issed until the local council confirms where you reside. Make sure you have all of your required supporting documentation and if you are planning to live and/or work in a smaller German town/city it might be helpful to bring along a German native speaker. Wishing you a great trip, I loved Hamburg! 😀

  41. Hi I am Ariel From Chile. I am currently in a working holiday visa in Berlin. Before my visa I was 3 month in the Netherlands learning a bit of english, my question is after my visa expires now in July I would like to travel for some time in Europe, since I have been pretty much only working in Berlin. Does automatically the visa become a turist visa or would this be a problem since I was before the visa started also in Europe. I hope you can helps me with this! Thanks a lot Ariel.

    1. Hi Ariel, thanks for asking, did you enter the Netherlands on a dedicated study visa or the automatic tourist (Schengen visa)? As a Schengen visa holder you are entitled to 90 days of each 180 days to travel within Europe, if you have stayed in Germany for the standard 12 month duration then you are welcome to keep traveling on your tourist (Schengen visa) when your current Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa lapses in July. Think of it as the timer which paused when your Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa was issued and will resume when it expires but since 180 days have passed within that period the timer has reset anyway! If you’re in doubt or need further clarification I would drop by German immigration and have a chat to them. Have a great trip! 🙂

  42. I am an Australian on a working holiday visa that began in January. While I am in Germany, can I travel to other Schengen/EU countries unrestricted or does the 90/180day travel period still apply if I have a current Visa?

    1. Hi Isabella, you can travel unrestricted within the Schengen area whilst on the Working Holiday Visa/Youth Mobility visa; you could spend the next 9 months in Greece if you prefer without visiting Germany again if you choose!

      The day that your Working Holiday Visa is issued hits the pause button on your Schengen tourist visa and that 90/180 days travel period resumes the day after your Working Holiday Visa expires so you can continue to travel within the Schengen area after your year in Germany if you like! There is no limitation on re-entering Europe during your stay so you can come and go as you like! Enjoy! 🙂

      1. Hi Michael,

        I was wondering the same as my Australian partner comes to Germany on a WHV soon, but we also wanna travel Europe.
        I got told that the visa in Germany is only valid, if you reside there for at least 6 months in total.
        But apparently he couldn’t travel that much anyway, cause when he leaves Germany, he’s automatically on a tourist visa, which means he’s only allowed to travel the Schengen area for 90 in 180 days.

        So that’s what I got told, but I hope I got wrong information cause it would make it quite hard.
        Looking forward to your response!

        1. Hi Anja, thanks for asking. Not sure where that information came from, dismiss it unless you hear it directly from German immigration, the German Consultate/Embassy in Australia and visa specialists will prefer your partner to reside in Germany as this visa is an opportunity for young people to travel and live in other countries but there is no restriction on movement during that 12 month period. I traveled with my partner from the very north of Sweden down to Greece by rail whilst on my Working Holiday visa issued by Denmark, these adventures are actively encouraged as part of your Working Holiday experience! As an Australian Citizen your partner can enter Germany on an automatic tourist visa (Schengen visa) and all the paperwork is done directly by German immigration in-country, the one thing to sort out before leaving for Germany is adequate travel insurance coverage that meets the requirements of the Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa requirement.

          The requirement of having registered an address with local Council in Germany before being issued a visa by German immigration will mean you either use a family address in Germany or approach a hostel owner and ask them to sign on your behalf but once you have done this and been issued a Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa your partner is free to travel within the EU for that entire 12 month duration; there is no 6 month restriction on travel, there is a 6 month work restriction for Australians so perhaps that what your contact was referring to. Who knows, you might both settle in Germany after 6 months of traveling around Europe, that’s why there is no restriction by German immigration or any other participating country, enjoy your adventure!

  43. Hi, firstly thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. I´m from Argentina and I was wondering to know how many time do i have to enter Germany when i already have the VISA on my passport and if i can enter with 31 years old. Thank you!

    1. Hi Tomas, happy to! My understanding from your comment is as an Argentinian you needed to apply for your Working Holiday visa from Argentina and they have already added a page insert to your Passport, is this correct?

      If so then you can enter Germany up to the last valid day on the German visa insert of your passport, do note though that since you already have received your visa insert it will have a starting date (when you can enter Germany) and an expiry date (when you must leave Germany) so that’s your window to enter/exit, there is no firm date you must enter Germany within.

      Within that time living in Germany you can speak to German immigration and request a temporary visa extension to allow you more time after your 12 months to apply for a different German residence visa (e.g. student, language, employment, etc.) so there are ways for you to stay in Germany longer if you wish.

      Regarding the age restriction it is related to your applying for a Working Holiday visa, not your age whilst you hold this residence visa. This same rule applies for all Working Holiday visa’s. So you can be 31 years old (to the day) and enter Germany with your Working Holiday visa already in hand but you cannot be 31 years old (to the day) and submit a new Working Holiday visa application. Does that make sense?

      I hope the above helps, if you need any further clarification just drop a comment here 🙂

  44. I wanted to know if it’s a digital visa. I’m an Argentinian citizen residing in Denmark. I applied today and I just realised they didn’t kept my passport

    1. Hi Ines, you should receive a full page insert on your Passport. As far as I’m aware it is not a digital visa, is it possible they mistook you for being a European Citizen when you last visited German immigration as you are currently living in Denmark? I’d reach out to them again to confirm in any case as without confirmation you may risk removal by German immigration without proper documentation.

  45. If I were to get a Working Holiday Visa in Germany, but continue to work part time remotely for an Australian company, would that be allowed? Or would I have to apply for a different visa? Or pay tax within Germany for the money earnt?

    1. Hi Lisa, I operated my own business (e-Commerce) from Australia while on my German Working Holiday visa without issue; no tax issues either. The Youth Mobility visa as it’s called in Germany offers visa holders the ability to work in Germany to suppliment their costs of living but you can choose not to. Assuming you’re an Australian Citizen you can apply for your Working Holiday visa upon arrival to Germany, just book a flight, find suitable accomodation, register your address with local council then apply for a Working Holiday visa from your nearest immigration office. We’re here to help, enjoy your adventure! I hope this helps! 🙂

  46. Thanks for all the info, really helpfu!

    I was wondering if it’s possible to apply for the German Working Holiday Visa if you don’t have an address, and are applying while on the road – we are thinking of traveling around Europe in a van first, and then looking at applying for the WHV.


    1. Hi Shannon, a requirement of the Youth Mobility/Working Holiday visa in Germany that catches a lot of visitors out is that you must have a signed resident form completed by your landlord/owner of the property you are residing at. This is okay for your needs to keep traveling but you will need to convince a hostel to let you use their address as without this you will not be issued a residence visa.

      In my own case my hostel provided their address and I confirmed with immigration that once I had rented an apartment I would return and update my documentation, that never happened and it was never followed up! Hope this helps.

  47. Can I book a travel/health insurance once I’m in Germany just befor I go to the appointment to apply for the working holiday visa? Otherwise I’d book the insurance already befor arrival but when I go and apply for the visa after 2 months being in Germany I’m not fully covered for the whole year anymore that I could stay, right?

    1. Hi Sarah, yes you can book it just before your appointment but do check the visa conditions for your Schengen visa (tourist visa) as it may require you to have travel insurance as a condition of entering Germany. Also note that many travel insurance policies can only be applied for before leaving for your trip, this was the case for me here in Australia. I personally would not travel to Germany as a tourist without having travel insurance coverage or ensuring there is a bilateral agreement/free healthcare between Citizens of both countries.

  48. hello! thanks for the information.
    i am from israel, and got already the “working holiday visa” in germany (valid until august 2019).
    my question is about finding work- i understand i can only work in a “holiday work” and not for every employer.
    can you tell me something about who can employ me and how?
    thank you!

    1. Hi Noam, thanks for asking. Each country has negotiated it’s own WHV conditions so I recommend you to contact the German Embassy or Consulate in Israel to clarify what those conditions are. Typically you can take any “mini-job” but not full-time employment, if your country has negotiated full-time employment conditions then it is usually restricted to a month or a fixed upper limit before you must transition to a standard resident work visa.

    2. Hey Noam, my name is Noy, im from Israel as well.
      Is it possible to contact you? i have some questions about the visa..


      1. Hi Noy, I have removed your e-mail address from your comment, so that any information can help others please ask your questions here. 🙂

  49. Hi, firstly thanks for the post it is really helpful. Btw I am a NZ citizen who just got the working holiday visa from March 1st and its a full year visa. However I was going to go to spain to meet my friends somewhere in Feb, so I was wondering if this can cause problems.. ?

    1. Hi Aaron, the day you commence your Working Holiday visa for Germany will be marked on the German residence visa document affixed to your passport. As a New Zealand Citizen you can enter Europe on a Schengen visa and are entitled to 90 days of unrestricted travel before you must transition to a residence visa from the country you are visiting. Check the entry dates on your residence visa and diviertete!

  50. Hello,
    I have Canadian citizenship but currently live in UK. I would just like to clarify what this note means:
    -you can work for 12 months on either a minimum employment basis (less than EUR 450 per month) or up to 50 days per year as part of a full-time job?

    I think the reason behind this is only to fund travels, and not to be employed full time earning more than 450 EUR?
    Thanks in advance.

    1. Hi M, that a condition that is applied to some passport countries so it’s best contacting a German Consulate in Canada and clarifying with them directly. It’s a confusing one.

      In my own situation I did not work for any German clients so it didn’t concern me, transitioning to a work visa (freelancer or small business visa) without the above restrictions is not difficult.

      The minimum employment basis (less than 450 EUR per month) is commonly called a “Mini job” contract as it exempts employee’s from having to pay income tax on their earnings and employers from having to pay social insurance, pension fund and wage tax costs.

      As a Working Holiday visa holder you are required to have valid private insurance for the duration of your stay. Let us know what you learn regarding that working hours condition and whether it is enforced.

      1. Wanting clarification on the mini jobs situation and €450 a month wage limit. There is no mention of this on any official government websites and other websites contradict each other.

        Applying from Australia, just not sure how one could be expected to live off €450 a month.


        1. Hi Russell, best to reach out to the Embassy/Consulate here in Australia to confirm this. 400 EUR is a fair bit to play with in most German cities – bar Munich and the high end of town – but I’d be keen to have this clarified for Australians so do let us know what you find out regarding this condition of the WHV.

  51. Hi, Is it possible to apply for more than one Working Holiday Visa. For example, can I apply for the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa for the UK and then a month later apply for the Working Holiday Visa in Germany.


    1. Yes you can, there is no restriction on you staying the full visa duration in your first WHV country. Do note that the WHV starts the day it is issued in each country (12 months in UK, 12 months in DE, 12 months in DK, etc.).

      Where you’ll run into difficulty in Germany for instance is you can only get a WHV once you have registered your home address (Anmeldung), some hotels and hostels will sign this registration document for you so you can skip renting an apartment.

Ask a question about applying for the Working Holiday Visa in Germany

Remember to include where you are from and whether you currently living outside your home country.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow by Email