Working Holiday Visa in Hong Kong

About this visa

3 Simple Steps to Apply for a Working Holiday Visa in Hong Kong

The visa allows young travelers from the participating countries to work and travel in Hong Kong for up to one year! Below you will find an easy 3 step guide to apply for this working holiday visa in Hong Kong.

Participating countries

Hong Kong has made Working Holiday visa agreements with the following 12 participating countries:

If you are a Citizen of Hong Kong and are considering a Working Holiday experience in one of the participating countries above, contact the Embassy of the country in question for more information.

With this visa you can

This visa allows you to:

  • Live in Hong Kong for one year
  • Work for one employer for max. three months if you are from; Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Germany and Ireland
  • Work for one employer for max. six months if you are from; Sweden, Austria, France, Hungary, South Korea and Japan (If you have a British passport the max. time is 12 months)
  • Study or participate in a course for max. 3 months if you are from; Australia or New Zealand
  • Study or participate in a course for max. 6 months if you are from; Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan and South Korea (If you are British you can study for up to 12 months)


  1. You must hold a valid national passport issued by the participating country and is ordinarily residing in that participating country
  2. You must be aged between 18 and 30
  3.  Produce financial proof of having an amount sufficient for your maintenance during his/her proposed stay in the HKSAR, e.g. bank statement, saving accounts passbooks
  4. You must hold a return air ticket or financial proof of having sufficient funds to purchase a return air ticket
  5. You must agree to hold medical, healthcare (including hospitalisation), repatriation and liability insurance to remain in force throughout your stay in the HKSAR

Note: The visa conditions outlined above are subject to change without notice.

How to apply

  • Normal processing time: 2 weeks
  • Visa fee: HK$ 190 (Free of Charge for Japanese, South Koreans and Irish passport holders)
  1. Collect all the required documents. See the checklist here
  2. Fill out the visa application form
  3. Submit the visa application form with the required documents via post to the HKSAR Immigration Department or via your nearest Chinese Embassy. See the list of which Chinese Embassies you can your visa application form to here

The immigration authority in Hong Kong for processing Working Holiday visa's is Immigration Department Hong Kong.

Go to: Immigration Department Hong Kong

Need more help?

If you are seeking advice about Working Holiday visa's drop a comment below and we will be happy to answer any Working Holiday & Youth Mobility visa question you have! We are travellers too! 🙂

Ask a question below

Ask a question about applying for the Working Holiday Visa in Hong Kong

Remember to include where you are from and whether you currently living outside your home country.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow by Email