About this visa
3 Steps to Apply for a Working Holiday Visa in Hungary
This visa gives young travelers from Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Japan, Chile and Thailand the opportunity to work and travel in Hungary for up to one year.
EU countries are starting to reopen their borders to international travelers. However, before heading off to Europe be sure to double check with the country's Embassy or Consulate in your home country as the EU countries are not legally bound to follow this new EU recommendation.
Hungary has made Working Holiday visa agreements with the following 6 participating countries:
If you are a Citizen of Hungary and are considering a Working Holiday experience in one of the participating countries above, contact the Embassy of the country in question for more information.
With this visa you can
This visa allows you to:
- Live in Hungary up to one year
- Work for an employer for max. 3 months
- Study/participate in a course for up to three months
- Re-enter Hungary during the visa period
- Be at least 18 but not yet 31 years of age (35 years for New Zealanders)
- don’t have a dependent child with you at any time during your stay in Hungary
- have a passport from either New Zealand, Chile, Japan, South Korea or Australia
- For Australians: A “Letter of Australian government support” must be obtained from the Department of Home Affairs. There is no charge for this service.
- Possess a ticket for departure from Hungary, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket
- Possess sufficient funds for your maintenance during the period of stay in Hungary
- Pay the prescribed temporary residence permit application fee (60 EUR)
- Agree to hold medical and comprehensive hospitalisation insurance to remain in force throughout his/her stay in Hungary
- Has not participated in the Scheme before.
Note: The visa conditions outlined above are subject to change without notice.
How to apply
- Normal processing time: 3 weeks
- Visa fee: 60 EUR
- Collect the required documents. You can find the requirements here
- Fill out the Application for Temporary Residence Permit
- Bring the required documents and filled out application form to your nearest Hungarian Embassy/Consular
The immigration authority in Hungary for processing Working Holiday visa's is Immigration and Asylum Office in Hungary.
Go to: Immigration and Asylum Office in Hungary
Need more help?
If you are seeking advice about Working Holiday visa's drop a comment below and we will be happy to answer any Working Holiday & Youth Mobility visa question you have! We are travellers too! 🙂
11 thoughts on “Working Holiday Visa in Hungary”
I am a NZ citizen, but im 36 years old. Is there a way to still work in Hungary?
Hi there. I have Chinese friends who are in Hungary with a Working Holiday Scheme visa. I am wondering if they would be able to travel to Denmark as tourists within the one year period? Is there a limit to how much they can travel around europe within that year? Thank you so much.
Hi, I am Australian, living in the UK and hoping to apply for a Working Holiday Visa for Hungary to undertake a short period of employment as a journalist based with a company in Budapest. I believe I am able to fulfil most of requirements, however I am concerned about being able to get to an embassy as most are closed in the UK and aboard, and the current lockdown means it is impossible to travel.
Is there a way to apply for this visa online?
Hi Penny, I was wondering how you went with obtaining a visa as I am also an Aussie in the UK looking at getting a Hungarian visa. Did you manage to get one?
I hope it all went smoothly for you!
Is it determined by law how much one can work during a 3 month period in Hungary?
I was wondering if it is possible as an Australian citizen to apply for the Hungarian Working Holiday Visa whilst I am already in Hungary as a visitor?
Yes it is. Please visit the Australian Embassy who can help you with applying for the visa.
The Embassy of Australia is closed in Hungary, so you will have to travel to Vienna to apply for this visa, which is only a short train ride from Budapest.
Hello!! I am Mexican and i am wondering how can i get a WH visa for Hungary? Is this possible?
Sorry there is no working holiday visa agreement between Mexico and Hungary.
I hope you find another country to work and travel in.
I’m looking to apply for a working holiday visa in Hungary, as a New Zealand citizen.
I will be travelling around Europe for 3 months. Can I apply for my working holiday visa when I visit Budapest for 7 days during this time?
Thanks for your time,
How’d you go mate? Would love to hear about your experience went! As a fellow Kiwi myself, I’m considering Hungary or Germany!