Working Holiday Visa in Hungary

About this visa

This visa gives young travellers from Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Japan, Chile and Thailand the opportunity to work and travel in Hungary for up to one year.

Participating countries

Hungary has made Working Holiday visa agreements with the following 6 participating countries:

If you are a Citizen of Hungary and are considering a Working Holiday experience in one of the participating countries above, contact the Embassy of the country in question for more information.

With this visa you can

This visa allows you to:

  • Live in Hungary up to one year
  • Work for an employer for max. 3 months
  • Study/participate in a course for up to three months
  • Re-enter Hungary during the visa period


  • Be at least 18 but not yet 31 years of age (35 years for Kiwis)
  • don’t have a dependent child with you at any time during your stay in Hungary
  • have a passport from either New Zealand, Chile, Japan, South Korea or Australia
  • For Australians: A “Letter of Australian government support” must be obtained from the Department of Home Affairs. There is no charge for this service.
  • Possess a ticket for departure from Hungary, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket
  • Possess sufficient funds for your maintenance during the period of stay in Hungary
  • Pay the prescribed temporary residence permit application fee (60 EUR)
  • Agree to hold medical and comprehensive hospitalisation insurance to remain in force throughout his/her stay in Hungary
  • Has not participated in the Scheme previously.

Note: The visa conditions outlined above are subject to change without notice.

How to apply

  • Normal processing time: 21 days
  • Visa fee: 60 EUR
  1. Collect the required documents. You can find the requirements here
  2. Fill out the Application for Temporary Residence Permit
  3. Bring the required documents and filled out application form to your nearest Hungarian Embassy/Consular

The immigration authority in Hungary for processing Working Holiday visa's is Immigration and Asylum Office in Hungary.

Go to: Immigration and Asylum Office in Hungary

Need more help?

If you are seeking advice about Working Holiday visa's drop a comment below and we will be happy to answer any Working Holiday & Youth Mobility visa question you have! We are travellers too! 🙂

Ask a question below

2 thoughts on “Working Holiday Visa in Hungary”

  1. Hi there,

    I’m looking to apply for a working holiday visa in Hungary, as a New Zealand citizen.

    I will be travelling around Europe for 3 months. Can I apply for my working holiday visa when I visit Budapest for 7 days during this time?

    Thanks for your time,


    1. How’d you go mate? Would love to hear about your experience went! As a fellow Kiwi myself, I’m considering Hungary or Germany!

Ask a question about applying for the Working Holiday Visa in Hungary

Remember to include where you are from and whether you currently living outside your home country.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *