Working Holiday Visas in Sweden

About this visa

Live in the biggest country in Scandinavia and learn the unique Swedish culture! This visa allows young travelers to work and travel in Sweden for one year.

Participating countries

Sweden has made Working Holiday visa agreements with the following 7 participating countries:

If you are a Citizen of Sweden and are considering a Working Holiday experience in one of the participating countries above, contact the Embassy of the country in question for more information.

With this visa you can

This visa allows you to:

  • Live in Sweden up to one year
  • Work for one employer for 6 months
  • Visit other European countries within the Schengen Zone

Things to note

After you have received your decision and entered Sweden you should book an appointment at the Migration Agency as soon as possible to submit your fingerprints and be photographed.

Book an appointment with your nearest Migration Agency in Sweden

You must show your decision along with a valid passport when entering Sweden.


In order to obtain a Working Holiday visa in Sweden, you must:

  • be a citizen of Argentina, Australia, Canada, Chile, Hongkong, New Zealand or South Korea
  • be 18–30 years old
  • have a valid passport
  • have at least SEK 15,000 so that you can support yourself initially in Sweden
  • have a return ticket or enough money to buy one
  • have a valid health insurance policy (unless you are a citizen of Australia)
  • not bring any children with you

Note: The visa conditions outlined above are subject to change without notice.

How to apply

  • Normal processing time: 1 week
  • Visa fee: SEK 1,000

You must apply online via the link below. It’s a pretty easy visa application process, where the most tricky part is to collect all the required documents you need to submit with the visa application form. You can find the required documents in the link below.

We would recommend you to collect the required documents before applying for the visa. When applying for the visa online don’t forget to pay the visa fee (SEK 1,000).

The immigration authority in Sweden for processing Working Holiday visa's is Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Sweden (Migrationsverket).

Go to: Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Sweden (Migrationsverket)

Need more help?

If you are seeking advice about Working Holiday visa's drop a comment below and we will be happy to answer any Working Holiday & Youth Mobility visa question you have! We are travellers too! 🙂

Ask a question below

11 thoughts on “Working Holiday Visas in Sweden”

  1. I am a graduate urban planner I am hoping to move over to Stockholm in next few months to be with my partner however I am struggling to find work. I think it would be easier if I lived there to find employment. Can I come over with a work/holiday visa then apply for a work permit?

    1. Hi Dannie, thanks for asking. Yes if you eligible for the Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa then this is an easy way to get a long-term residence visa in Sweden before transitioning to a traditional work visa. Please note that you cannot bring your partner with you on a Working Holiday visa, they will need to apply for their own visa which could also be a Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa if eligible.

  2. Thank you for posting such great information! Could you let me know where I can check the jobs, salaries and employment period I can have with the working holiday visa? For example, you wrote that I can work for one employee for 6 months and I wonder how you found the info! Thank you for your help in advance.

  3. Hi there,

    everywhere online it states that it takes 3 months to receive working holiday visa but you’re saying 1 week. Is that the current processing time?

    1. Hi Saga, thanks for asking. Visa processing times are very much dependant on complete documentation being supplied. Reach out to your nearest Swedish Consulate or Embassy as they will have a better idea of current Working Holiday/Youth Mobility processing times in Sweden.

  4. My boyfriend applayed for the swedish working visa today, but he already has a ticket to sweden at 12/9 do you think that is enough time?

    And will he arrive his working holiday visa on email or dose he need to go to the ambassad to pick it up?

  5. Hi there and great info!
    Am I to understand that I can work for 6 months with only one employer or 6 months with one and then potentially 6 months with another?

  6. Hi,

    I’m a Canadian, currently in Canada.
    I’m wondering if I could apply for the Working Holiday Visa if I’ve been an AuPair in Sweden for 5 months?

    My purpose for the Work Holiday will be to improve my Swedish skills in a work environment, and to obtain better training for my work.

    In the Working Holiday Visa agreement between Canada and Sweden, there are 5 criteria’s, you need to meet at least one. And you are able to apply to this scheme twice, if you meet two different criteria’s each time.

    So I’m wondering if since you’re allowed to apply twice to this scheme, would that then mean I can apply for the Working Holiday Visa if I was an AuPair? (Just learning Swedish, and the culture).

    I spoke with Immigration, and she said that the AuPair and Working Holiday Visa descriptions are the same and that they may think that I’ve “already experienced Swedish culture”, and it may be denied, but she mentioned, that I’m still able to apply.

    If I apply for this permit, should I mention in the application that my criteria is different this time around?

    Also, it states that you need 15,000 SEK in your bank as proof as initial financial support for yourself. Are there ways around this? Can you borrow from a parent, or get a note written that you will have support from you let family?

    Kind Regards,


    1. Hi Kyle, thanks for asking. That’s weird as the Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa and Au Pair visa program have different goals, I would apply anyway; worst case they decline it and you look at a Working Holiday visa opportunities in Denmark or Germany then spend some time in Sweden! The Swedish immigration system is fully digitised so they will see your last stay, I would be upfront and honest in your intentions to spend more time experiencing Swedish culture and general way of life which you were unable to due to your responsibilites during your Au Pair stay.

      Regarding the financial requirement, this is simply to justify to Swedish immigration that you will be self-sufficient during your stay, they do not care where the money comes from so a letter of support from family or 24 hour bank transfer for the purpose of a screenshot is fine. Remember you still need comprehensive travel insurance, if you’re going to that much work immigration consider you low risk. 🙂

  7. Hello, I am from Canada and living in Canada currently, I am 26 years old, and I wanted to know how this works mainly. In order to be eligible for a working holiday visa I would need the 15 000 SEK? To show that I have enough funds? Am I able to obtain a working holiday visa with just the 15 000 SEK and the 1000 SEK fee without a job? Or, would I also have to find a job beforehand? Or lastly, is it possible to go through a program which places you at a job once you’ve paid the 1000 SEK as well as having 15 000 SEK? Thank you!

    1. Hi Joshua, thanks or asking, typically immigration don’t care that you have 15,000 SEK in your bank account just that you have the ability to support yourself and not be a burden on the country for the duration of your stay. You do not need to have 15,000 SEK but a document to support your ability to support yourself will only help. I remember applying for my Danish Working Holiday visa and asking my folks to send some money into my account for 48 hours, it’s a step in the visa application, nothing more.

      Regarding work, holding a Working Holiday visa gives you the ability to work, if you choose to, it is not a requirement, you can spend 12 months exploring Sweden and wider Europe without working a day if you have the ability to support yourself for the duration of your stay. Most people do some casual work at some point though as a year without drinking beer isn’t an easy feat; alcohol isn’t cheap in Sweden, but not as expensive as Norway, just so you’re aware! Wishing you a great adventure, if you have any questions just ping us here. 🙂

Ask a question about applying for the Working Holiday Visa in Sweden

Remember to include where you are from and whether you currently living outside your home country.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *