Working Holiday Visa in Finland

About this visa

This visa allows young travelers from Australia and New Zealand to work and travel in Finland for one year.

Participating countries

Finland has made Working Holiday visa agreements with the following 2 participating countries:

If you are a Citizen of Finland and are considering a Working Holiday experience in one of the participating countries above, contact the Embassy of the country in question for more information.

With this visa you can

This visa allows you to:

  • Live in Finland for 12 months
  • Visit other European countries within the Schengen Zone

Things to note

  • The visa processing fee is applicable for Citizens of Australia (400 EUR)
  • The processing fee is waived for Citizens of New Zealand
  • Private health insurance is required for Citizens of New Zealand for the duration of their stay
  • Australia and Finland have signed a reciprocal agreement on medical treatment waiving the private health insurance requirement for Citizens of Australia
  • There is no restriction on working conditions for Citizens of New Zealand
  • Australians can work up to 9 months within the 12 months, and max. 3 months per employer


In order to obtain a Working Holiday visa for Finland, you must:

  • be a Citizen of Australia or New Zealand
  • be 18–30 years old
  • not bring any children with you
  • be in good health and of sound background (no criminal convictions)
  • have at least AUD $3,000 to support yourself during your stay in Finland
  • a return ticket or sufficient funds for purchasing it

Note: The visa conditions outlined above are subject to change without notice.

How to apply

  • Normal processing time: 2 months
  • Visa fee: 400 EUR

If you are currently residing in Australia or New Zealand the application must be submitted in person to the Embassy of Finland in Canberra, otherwise at the nearest Consulate of Finland.

The visa processing fee needs by credit or debit card to be paid to the Embassy or Consulate when the application is submitted. Cash, Diners Club and Amex cards are not accepted.

The immigration authority in Finland for processing Working Holiday visa's is

Go to:

Additional resources

Here are additional links and resources related to the Working Holiday visa in Finland. All resources are in English unless otherwise stated.

Need more help?

If you are seeking advice about Working Holiday visa's drop a comment below and we will be happy to answer any Working Holiday & Youth Mobility visa question you have! We are travellers too! 🙂

Ask a question below

7 thoughts on “Working Holiday Visa in Finland”

  1. Hello,

    I am an Australian citizen and wish to spend a year working in Finland and wish to travel Europe during my stay. I specifically want to work in Tampere and was wondering if you knew of any agencies or methods that could help me find work before I arrive. I have lots of experience in bartending and working in grocery stores.


    1. Hi Lachlan,

      Thank you for your question.

      Our best recommendation for you is to avoid the agencies, and simply meet up in the bar, restaurant or supermarket with your resume.
      There are heaps of bars, restaurants and cafes in Tampere, so you should be able to find work there 🙂


  2. Hi

    I’m from Sydney I want to work in Finland as bartender my girlfriend is from Finland

    Should I apply for resident permit or working visa ?

  3. Hey there!

    I’m an Australian looking to apply for the Finnish working holiday visa. I’m living in China at the moment, and will only be in Australia for 2 weeks prior to my departure to Finland.

    Is it possible to apply for the Working Holiday Visa overseas?


    1. Hi Erin, thanks for asking. Due to the unique circumstances of you not currently residing in Australia you very likely can apply in-country on arrival to Finland; Germany does this by default for Australians but Scandinavian countries prefer you to go via their off-shore visa appication processor where possible (e.g. VFS Global).

      I strongly recommend you to call ahead to immigration in Finland before entering Finland as well as call the Australian Embassy/Consulate for Finland so that they’re aware of these circumstances and can make arrangements to support you. Have a great trip to Finland! 🙂

Ask a question about applying for the Working Holiday Visa in Finland

Remember to include where you are from and whether you currently living outside your home country.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *