Working Holiday Visa in Spain

About this visa

Explore one of Europe's most cultural countries and learn how to live like a true Spanish person. If you are lucky to be either Australian, Canadian or a New Zealander you have the opportunity to apply for the Working Holiday visa (For Canadians; Youth Mobility Program).


Spain has temporarily reintroduced border controls, so non essentials travels to Spain is banned. You are not able to begin your working holiday visa at the moment.

On 10th May, the Spanish Authorities will send out an update about if they will continue with the temporarily border control.

Find out more here

Participating countries

Spain has made Working Holiday visa agreements with the following 3 participating countries:

If you are a Citizen of Spain and are considering a Working Holiday experience in one of the participating countries above, contact the Embassy of the country in question for more information.

With this visa you can

This visa allows you to:

  • Live in Spain for up to one year
  • Work on a casual basis for up to 3 months per employer
  • Visit other EU countries within the visa period

Things to note

  • Functional Spanish is a requirement for this visa
  • Spain has a high unemployment rate for the young Spanish public, so getting a casual job in Spain cannot be guaranteed


For Australians

  • A “Letter of Australian government support” must be obtained from the Department of Home Affairs. There is no charge for this service.

For Canadians

If you are a Canadian resident the visa requirements are as following:

  • Be resident in the National Capital Region (Ottawa and Gatineau)
  • Be between the ages of 18 and 35 years inclusively on the date the application is submitted

See additional visa requirements for Canadians

For New Zealanders

If you are a New Zealander the visa requirements are as following:

New Zealanders aged between 18 and 30 can apply for a 12-month working holiday visa for Spain.

Note: The visa conditions outlined above are subject to change without notice.

How to apply

  • Normal processing time: 3-6 weeks
  • Visa fee: $115 USD

Applying from your home country

Australians, Canadians and New Zealanders must apply in person for the Working Holiday visa/Youth Mobility program at their respective Spanish embassies.

For Canadians

These are the steps for Canadians to apply for the Spanish Youth Mobility Program:

  • Book an online appointment with the Spanish Embassy in Ottawa
    Book an appointment with the Visa section
  • Fill out the required visa application form plus collect the required documents for the visa application
  • Submit originals and photocopies of the following documents:
    • A filled out and signed visa application form, filled with a recent full-face photograph attached to its right top corner(Passport sized photo)
    • A valid passport with a minimum validity of one year prior to entry into Spain.
    • Documentation such as a medical insurance card, a driver’s permit, etc., which shows your residency in Canada.
    • A return ticket or sufficient funds to purchase it.
    • Proof of economic funds ( CAD $2,580.00 for the year 2018) through bank statements issued within the previous two months
    • A medical insurance policy covering hospitalisation and repatriation for the entire authorized period of their stay
    • If the duration of the stay is over six months, a Police Check issued by the authorities of all the countries where an applicant has resided for the last 5 years, including Canada (But they do not accept Police Checks issued by local Police Stations).
    • If the duration of the stay is over six months, a medical certificate issued by the applicant’s family doctor worded as follows ““This medical certificate states that Mr./Mrs.….. does not suffer from any diseases that may have serious consequences on public health in accordance with the provisions contained in the 2005 International Health Regulations.”
  • Attend your appointment at the Spanish Embassy in Ottawa

The immigration authority in Spain for processing Working Holiday visa's is Spanish Foreign Affairs and Cooperation.

Go to: Spanish Foreign Affairs and Cooperation

Need more help?

If you are seeking advice about Working Holiday visa's drop a comment below and we will be happy to answer any Working Holiday & Youth Mobility visa question you have! We are travellers too! 🙂

Ask a question below

8 thoughts on “Working Holiday Visa in Spain”

  1. Hi, I’m already in Spain with a Working Holiday Visa, but it expires in September. Can my visa be extended or renewed?. If yes can I do it from Spain without having to come back to Canada?. Thks.

    1. Hi Alexander,

      According to Canada’s Immmigration and Travel department you can extend your stay via the youth mobility program you are already on.

      “You can participate in Spain’s Youth Mobility Program two times. Your second participation must be in a different category and there must be a break of at least three months between the two participations.”

      But you must follow one of the category criterias.

      In order to apply visit the Embassy of Canada in Madrid. They can help you with applying for the youth mobility program.


  2. I wanted to know if I have to pass a particular accredited Spanish exam to be able to travel to Spain with a working holiday visa? I have been doing an advanced B2 Spanish course for the last 2 years.

    1. Hi Camilla,

      As long as you can prove your advanced B2 Spanish course in paper, you are good to go.
      You just need to submit this document with your visa application.


  3. Hello,
    I am a Canadian residing in Vancouver, BC. How can I apply for the working holiday visa to Spain from here? Is there a way to apply online without attending appointment at the Spanish embassy in Ottawa?

  4. I am a New Zealander living in the United Kingdom; how do I apply for a working holiday visa for Spain from the UK?

    Many thanks

    1. Hi Shannon, thanks for asking. Since you’re outside of Australia the option of visiting the Australian Consulate is off the table. I’ve spoken with the Embassy of Spain here in the ACT this morning and they’ve advised that you should contact the Spanish Embassy in London and make an appointment for an in-person visit to submit your application, if that fails then you will be required to either risk it and enter Spain on a tourist visa and *fingers crossed* transition to a WHV or return to Australia and submit an application in person to your nearest Spanish Embassy or Consulate. Let us know how you go!

Ask a question about applying for the Working Holiday Visa in Spain

Remember to include where you are from and whether you currently living outside your home country.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *