About this visa
Explore one of Europe's most cultural countries and learn how to live like a true Spanish person. If you are lucky to be either Australian, Canadian or a New Zealander you have the opportunity to apply for the Working Holiday visa (For Canadians; Youth Mobility Program).
Spain has made Working Holiday visa agreements with the following 3 participating countries:
If you are a Citizen of Spain and are considering a Working Holiday experience in one of the participating countries above, contact the Embassy of the country in question for more information.
With this visa you can
This visa allows you to:
- Live in Spain for up to one year
- Work on a casual basis for up to 3 months per employer
- Visit other EU countries within the visa period
Things to note
- Functional Spanish is a requirement for this visa
- Spain has a high unemployment rate for the young Spanish public, so getting a casual job in Spain cannot be guaranteed
- A “Letter of Australian government support” must be obtained from the Department of Home Affairs. There is no charge for this service.
If you are a Canadian resident the visa requirements are as following:
- Be resident in the National Capital Region (Ottawa and Gatineau)
- Be between the ages of 18 and 35 years inclusively on the date the application is submitted
For New Zealanders
If you are a New Zealander the visa requirements are as following:
New Zealanders aged between 18 and 30 can apply for a 12-month working holiday visa for Spain.
Note: The visa conditions outlined above are subject to change without notice.
How to apply
- Normal processing time: 3-6 weeks
- Visa fee: $115 USD
Applying from your home country
Australians, Canadians and New Zealanders must apply in person for the Working Holiday visa/Youth Mobility program at their respective Spanish embassies.
- Australia: Spanish Consulate in Sydney
- Canada: Spanish Embassy in Ottawa
- New Zealand: Spanish Embassy in Wellington
These are the steps for Canadians to apply for the Spanish Youth Mobility Program:
- Book an online appointment with the Spanish Embassy in Ottawa
Book an appointment with the Visa section
- Fill out the required visa application form plus collect the required documents for the visa application
- Submit originals and photocopies of the following documents:
- A filled out and signed visa application form, filled with a recent full-face photograph attached to its right top corner(Passport sized photo)
- A valid passport with a minimum validity of one year prior to entry into Spain.
- Documentation such as a medical insurance card, a driver’s permit, etc., which shows your residency in Canada.
- A return ticket or sufficient funds to purchase it.
- Proof of economic funds ( CAD $2,580.00 for the year 2018) through bank statements issued within the previous two months
- A medical insurance policy covering hospitalisation and repatriation for the entire authorized period of their stay
- If the duration of the stay is over six months, a Police Check issued by the authorities of all the countries where an applicant has resided for the last 5 years, including Canada (But they do not accept Police Checks issued by local Police Stations).
- If the duration of the stay is over six months, a medical certificate issued by the applicant’s family doctor worded as follows ““This medical certificate states that Mr./Mrs.….. does not suffer from any diseases that may have serious consequences on public health in accordance with the provisions contained in the 2005 International Health Regulations.”
- Attend your appointment at the Spanish Embassy in Ottawa
For New Zealanders
The immigration authority in Spain for processing Working Holiday visa's is Spanish Foreign Affairs and Cooperation.
Need more help?
If you are seeking advice about Working Holiday visa's drop a comment below and we will be happy to answer any Working Holiday & Youth Mobility visa question you have! We are travellers too! 🙂