About this visa
Explore the country being famous for their beers and become a Belgian chocolate expert with this working holiday visa. The visa helps young Canadians, New Zealanders and Australians to work and travel in Belgium up to a year. You can generally apply for this visa if you have at least EUR 2,500 to live on during your stay.
Belgium is aiming to reopen to international tourists by 15th June.
Belgium has made Working Holiday visa agreements with the following 3 participating countries:
If you are a Citizen of Belgium and are considering a Working Holiday experience in one of the participating countries above, contact the Embassy of the country in question for more information.
With this visa you can
This visa allows you to:
- Live in Belgium for up to one year
- Work for an employer for up to 6 months
- Study / participate in a course
- leave and re-enter Belgium any number of times while the visa is valid.
Things to note
You should arrive in Belgium within 3 months from the date your visa was issued.
Within 8 days after your arrival, head to the City Hall/local administration building (commune or gemeente) in order to get registered. Once your registration is complete, you should receive a type-A residence card, which will allow you to travel in the Schengen area.
In order to apply for the Belgian working holiday visa you must meet the following requirements:
- have a holiday in Belgium as their primary intention, employment being incidental and accessory
- be aged between 18 and 30 years at the time of application
- hold a valid passport; possess a valid return ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket
- have sufficient means, i.e. a minimum of EUR 2,500
- be a first time applicant for the working holiday visa
- submit a medical certificate issued by a medical doctor appointed by the Belgian Embassy, stating that you have no disease or infirmity that may endanger public health, order or security
- submit your National Criminal History Record Check
- it is recommended you have comprehensive medical and hospitalisation insurance for the duration of your stay (see also health care agreement – a valid medicare card is essential).
Note: The visa conditions outlined above are subject to change without notice.
How to apply
- Normal processing time: 4-6 weeks
- Visa fee: 350 EUR
For Australians and New Zealanders
You must apply for the long stay visa to the Belgian Embassy in Canberra.
19 Arkana Street, Yarralumla ACT 2600
tel: + 61.(0)2/6273.2501 fax: + 61.(0)2/6273.3392
Email: [email protected]
You must apply for the long stay visa by sending a courier to Belgium’s Consulate General in Montreal.
Consulate General of Belgium in Montreal
Visa Dept. / WHP
999, de Maisonneuve W. #1600
Montreal, QC H3A 3L4
Here are additional links and resources related to the Working Holiday visa in Belgium. All resources are in English unless otherwise stated.
COVID-19 border restriction update:
Need more help?
If you are seeking advice about Working Holiday visa's drop a comment below and we will be happy to answer any Working Holiday & Youth Mobility visa question you have! We are travellers too! 🙂