Working Holiday Visa in Denmark

About this visa

This visa helps young people come to Denmark. You can generally apply for this visa if you have at least $2,500 USD to live on during your stay. While you’re here you can study and/or work up to 6 months while you enjoy your extended holiday of up a year!

Participating countries

Denmark has made Working Holiday visa agreements with the following 7 participating countries:

If you are a Citizen of Denmark and are considering a Working Holiday experience in one of the participating countries above see where your Passport can take you!

With this visa you can

This visa allows you to:

  • Live in Denmark for up to one year
  • Work for one employer for max. 6 months
  • Study
  • Visit other countries in the Schengen area without a visa

Things to note

Have you had a working holiday visa to Denmark before?

Then it is not possible for you to be granted a permit for another working holiday stay. Instead try and apply for other residence permit visas. You can see the different options here;

Long stay visas in Denmark


  • You must be a Citizen of an partner country (see below)
  • You can only apply for this Working Holiday visa once
  • You must be at least 18 years but must not have turned 31 at the time you submit the application
  • You are allowed to work for up to 6 months, but you must not work for the same employer for more than 3 months or take a regular job
  • You are allowed to attend courses or enroll in an educational programme for up to 3 months of your stay in Denmark
  • You can’t bring children with you on a working holiday
  • If you have a partner who wants to come to Denmark, they’ll need to apply for their own visa

Note: The visa conditions outlined above are subject to change without notice.

How to apply

  • Normal processing time: 3 months
  • Visa fee: It's free
  1. Gather your visa documentation
  2. Comple the working holiday visa application form
  3. Submit your application
  4. Take your biometrics by approaching your nearby Danish diplomatic mission or Norwegian diplomatic mission if your country does not have a Danish one
  5. Wait till you receive your answer

For a more detailed checklist of what is applied check the application summary here on Department of Home Affairs’ website – Ny i Danmark.

You can find your nearest Danish diplomatic mission here!

The immigration authority in Denmark for processing Working Holiday visa's is The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI).

Go to: The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI)

Need more help?

If you are seeking advice about Working Holiday visa's drop a comment below and we will be happy to answer any Working Holiday & Youth Mobility visa question you have! We are travellers too! 🙂

Ask a question below

2 thoughts on “Working Holiday Visa in Denmark”

  1. Hi – great site! Do you know if it’s possible to hold multiple working holiday visas at once? Would that be a problem when entering any of the countries I’d have a working holiday for? I’ll be 31 in 5 months, and I thought I might just get a working holiday visa for several countries – maybe as many as Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Norway, UK, Ireland, and decide where to spend most of my time when I get there. Is that silly/potentially problematic?

    1. Hi Marita, thanks! Yes it is possible to hold multiple Working Holiday/Youth Mobility visa’s co-currently though it may be frowned by the immigration office in each additional country when they add a new page insert to your Passport. I would make each additional country aware of your age circumstances prior to handing over your Passport to mitigate this concern; you could probably get away with several before immigration in a given country say that’s enough. 😛

      Be aware that some countries require proof of accomodation in a given country (e.g. Germany) so while it is not a restriction – you could get a hostel owner to fill your residence papers – it is another hurdle to jump through if you intend to hold multiple co-current Working Holiday visa’s. I would contact the Consulate/Embassy in your home country for all of the above mentioned countries and ask them if discussions are underway for increasing the maximum age to 35 years old as has happened for Canadian Citizens in several popular participating countries.

Ask a question about applying for the Working Holiday Visa in Denmark

Remember to include where you are from and whether you currently living outside your home country.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *