About this visa
2 Very Simple Steps to Apply for a Working Holiday Visa in United Kingdom
This Youth Mobility Scheme visa helps young travelers from participating countries to come to the United Kingdom. With this visa you can work and travel in the UK for up to one year!
Find out how to apply below.
COVID-19 Update: The UK border is open for international tourism. The tourists and travelers must follow to the UK's border rules;
All international passengers must now provide contact and accommodation information; they will also be strongly advised to download and use the NHS contact tracing app. And all except those on a list of exemptions (tbc) will also be required to self-isolate in their accommodation for 14 days on arrival.
If international travelers are unable to indicate the place where they can self-isolate, they will be required to do so in accommodation arranged by the government.
the United Kingdom has made Working Holiday visa agreements with the following 9 participating countries:
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- North Korea
- South Korea
If you are a Citizen of the United Kingdom and are considering a Working Holiday experience in one of the participating countries above see where your Passport can take you!
With this visa you can
This visa allows you to:
- live and work in the UK for up to 2 years
- Enter the UK at any time while your visa is valid, and leave and come back at any time during your stay.
- study – for some courses you’ll need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme certificate
- work in most jobs
- be self-employed and set up a company – as long as your premises are rented, your equipment is not worth more than £5,000 and you do not have any employees
Things to note
If you turn 31 while you’re in the UK, you can stay for as long as your visa is valid.
- Be a citizen of the participating countries and hold a valid passport of the country
- Be aged between 18-30 years old (Both ages inclusive)
- You must not be accompanied by your children
- You must not previously have been on the Youth Mobility Scheme visa
- Proof to have savings of 1,890 pounds
- You will need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or in Welsh
- You will need to prove your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
Note: The visa conditions outlined above are subject to change without notice.
How to apply
- Normal processing time: 3 weeks
- Visa fee: 244 pounds
*You’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application centre (to get a biometric residence permit) as part of your application.
**You’ll have to collect your biometric residence permit within 10 days of when you said you’d arrive in the UK (even if you actually arrive at a later date).
For North Koreans
- download the application form and guidance – read the guidance if you need help filling in the form
- read the instructions to find out where to take your completed form
The immigration authority in the United Kingdom for processing Working Holiday visa's is Immigration Department United Kingdom.
Go to: Immigration Department United Kingdom
Need more help?
If you are seeking advice about Working Holiday visa's drop a comment below and we will be happy to answer any Working Holiday & Youth Mobility visa question you have! We are travellers too! 🙂
10 thoughts on “Working Holiday Visa in the United Kingdom”
Hi, I am from Turkmenistan and interested in one year UK working visa. I wanted to ask if I am eligible and if yes, what is the procedure.
I’ve graduated from the UK university with a master’s degree and currently looking for a work experience.
Unfortunately, you are not eligible for this working holiday visa.
As you have graduated from an UK university, perhaps then can help you with applying for a relevant visa for you?
I am an American college student, and my fiance and I would like to move abroad following my graduation in May. How can i find information for a visa that would allow us to move from the US to the UK and work? I didn’t know there was a visa that we would qualify for.
You can apply for this working holiday visa / Youth Mobility Program Tier 5.
Apply direct via UK’s Immigration department here – https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-youth-mobility/eligibility
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, United States citizens are uneligible for the working holiday visa / Youth Mobility Program Tier 5. If you happen to know of any other options it would be greatly appreciated!
Unfortunately, there are not many visa opportunities for Americans. Perhaps you can apply for an Au pair visa, if you wish to become an au pair for a family?
I Malaysian who like to apply Tier 5 working holiday visa in UK. Is that possible ？
Unfortunately, there is no Memorandum of Understanding between the UK and Malaysia, so you as a citizen of Malaysia is not able to participate in this Tier 5 working holiday visa.
Hi do I need to have a minimum qualifications?
Hi Rachel, what country are you from? Typically there are no minimum qualifications for this Working Holiday visa as the primary purpose is to travel and experience a different culture, you may work during your stay to cover your living costs.